Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What's Cookin'?

Um, today, after my rhapsodizing over risotto last post? Yeah, Chik-fil-A. Hey, I bet even Julia Child got tired of whipping together fabulous meals.

For the most part, I like to cook. And occasionally bake. But cooking is nice because it is incredibly forgiving. No precise measurements are needed. You just mix stuff together until it smells good.

My dad taught me my basic philosophy -- think of things you like and think of them together. If they sound good (i.e. appetizing), it'll work. If not, back to the drawing board.

My sister-in-law taught me this rule of law -- with fish, less is more. Fewer the ingredients the better. As she wisely pointed out, most great dishes don't have a ton of ingredients. So true.

My husband taught me to make gravy. No, no, no -- not himself really. He just loves the stuff with everything. I had never made gravy before until I met him. I was used to my mom's which was most often lumpy with flour or cornstarch and not the tastiest (sorry, Mom, but it's true -- gravy is not your forte). So because of the constant demand and my distaste of most prepared gravies on the market, I learned to make my own.

That's just it -- you can learn cooking by trial and error. And now, for example, when I'm stuck for what to do with some freshly purchased sole fillets, I can google a few ideas, combine some of this and some of that and whip up a dinner with breaded sole fillets with a lemon butter caper sauce. (And risotto. But I thought that went without saying.)

So the advice is try it out. Don't be afraid of cooking. You will inevitably have meals that fall a little flat. But you will have many others that are truly delicious. And others that are from Chik-fil-a. And all of that is okay.

Cook on.

No comments:

Post a Comment